Monday, October 6, 2014

What Exactly is SDVX

SDVX or Sound Voltex is a Japanese rhythm game developed by Konami. There has been two iterations so far, Sound Voltex BOOTH, and Sound Voltex II -Infinite Infection-. There has been a third Sound Voltex announced, but release date is currently unknown. The third iteration is to be named "Gravity Wars". Yes

"Gravity Wars"

lol.

With that out of the way, why do you need a controller? Well, everything can be played with keyboard except for the two knobs dubbed VOL - L and VOL - R, you turn them and it makes whooshing effect noises, other wise Sound Voltex is pretty much the standard beat mania key masher.

Here's a video for reference
No that's not me.

Why do I want a controller? Well. Back in July I had a trip to Japan, since I'm a dork, I went to the arcades, which were surprisingly full compared to the 99% empty ones in Canada (where I live). As an avid rhythm gamer I obviously went to the rhythm gaming section; and lo and behind, a SDVX arcade box. Just for context I probably spent around $50 CAD that day just on that machine... great use of vacation time. Anyhow, now that I am back in Canada, there is no way for you to play the game* other than the emulator K-Shoot Mania, which basically is the exact same thing, just less flashy.

The thing is, you can either A. Play with 2 mice as the knobs, or B. Make a controller to emulate the analog controls.

Obviously, I am going with B. All in or nothing right?

No comments:

Post a Comment